Release Notes – ELM Enterprise Manager 6.7
Copyright 1996 – 2016 TNT Software, Inc.
All rights reserved
- Previous Versions (expand)
- Known Issues (expand)
- Contact Info
The following fixes are included in release 22.214.171.124:
- Fixed: Command Script Notifications expand event environment variables in called scripts. (3033)
- Added: Maintenance Categories have a monthly after day of month property. (3023)
- Fixed: Maintenance Categories monthly Weekday settings work as expected. (3021)
The following fixes are included in release 126.96.36.199:
- Fixed: Forward Event Notification Method cached data respects customized category and message. (3009)
The following fixes are included in release 188.8.131.52:
- Added: Forward Event Notification Method has a configurable category. (3009)
- Fixed: Syslog messages containing a less than character are not parsed correctly. (3005)
- Fixed: Database maintenance could interrupt data insertion. (2912)
- Fixed: Agent registration to ELM Server is more dependable. (2816)
- Fixed: Improved handling of cluster resource groups. (2803)
- Fixed: Command Script Notifications expand Agent Description.. (2765)
- Fixed: Install trace files could contain passwords. (2737)
- Fixed: Standby cache file could be orphaned. (2682)
- Fixed: Additional SQL Express databases can be created in low disk conditions. (2616)
- Fixed: Improved description for completed ELM Editor report schedules . (1558)
The following fixes are included in release 184.108.40.206:
- Fixed: Home/Standby behavior is more robust. (2652, 2643, 2626, 2619)
- Fixed: ‘Once’ type Maintenance Categories can be reused. (2651)
- Added: Monitor Actions have a ‘write events to event log’ property. (2649)
- Fixed: Memory leak when Forward Event Notification Methods fails and caches. (2636)
- Fixed: Serial number modification on upgrade respected. (2618)
- Fixed: File Monitor correctly handles embedded null characters. (2615)
- Fixed: Improved Correlation handling. (2614, 2613)
- Fixed: Upgrade of configuration not containing the ELM Server Feature works as expected. (2586)
- Fixed: Upgrade keeps all registry configuration. (2584)
The following fixes are included in release 220.127.116.11:
- Fixed: All Agents container in the ELM Console loads more quickly. (2547)
- Fixed: Disk Queue Length calculations are more accurate. (2531)
- Added: ELM Verify Evt File uncompress option added. (2489)
- Fixed: Agent license class is correctly determined for embedded Windows operating systems. (2486)
- Fixed: Event Alarm is initialized correctly. (2476)
The following fixes are included in release 18.104.22.168:
- Fixed: SQL Express Primary Database rollover is more reliable. (2470)
- Added: License usage event can be generated on a daily interval. (2469)
- Fixed: Agent deleted event data was off by one. (2468)
- Fixed: Allow immediate switch from Home ELM Server to Standby ELM Server. (2339)
The following fixes are included in release 22.214.171.124:
- Fixed: Recreating a view based on a Monitor or Event displays an ‘already exists’ message. (2456)
- Fixed: Newly created Monitoring Categories work reliably. (2449)
- Fixed: Register ELM Agent back to an ELM Server is more efficient. (2448)
- Fixed: Safer handling of IP Agents. (2430)
- Fixed: Scheduled Reports respect Monitoring Category assignment. (2424)
- Fixed: Maintenance Category description updates in the ELM Console. (2402)
The following fixes are included in release 126.96.36.199:
- Fixed: License activation is more reliable. (2399)
- Fixed: ELM Server more accurately reflects database state. (2391, 2372, 2364)
- Fixed: Better handling of forwarded events by Filters with Monitoring Category criteria. (2390)
- Fixed: ELM Server event id 5708, correlation found, contains more information. (2381)
- Fixed: Preconfigured Event Views should not set the Match All property. (2363)
The following fixes are included in release 188.8.131.52:
- Fixed: File Monitors monitor System32 directory on 64 bit operating systems via SysNative. (2354, 2348)
- Fixed: ELM Server comes out of failover more reliably. (2333)
- Fixed: Upgrading a 6.5 Event Filter handles ‘All Agents’ Monitoring Category criteria correctly. (2326)
- Fixed: No longer fail silently when connecting to an existing database without adequate permissions. (2302)
The following fixes are included in release 184.108.40.206:
- Fixed: Allow updates with expired maintenance. (2257)
- Fixed: Maintenance Categories can be set via Monitoring Categories. (2254)
- Fixed: Do not install Web Viewer on upgrade unless both IIS and AppSettings agree. (2253)
- Fixed: The ‘TNTDiag.exe /Quiet’ command line should not display any message boxes. (2252)
- Fixed: The ELM Server should not be putting data in a failover database when not in failover. (2240)
The following fixes are included in release 220.127.116.11:
- Fixed: Correlation View Timeout message is correct on Windows 2003. (2235)
- Fixed: Inventory Collector correctly handles unicode strings. (2234)
- Fixed: Forward Events to multiple hosts using a custom message correctly expands variables. (2231)
- Added: Correlation View Timeout and End Match found events have added detail. (2230)
- Fixed: Properties of a Security View summary event are consistent. (2225, 2223)
- Fixed: Agent Description variable for Notifications is functional. (2222)
The following fixes are included in release 18.104.22.168:
- Fixed: Default SQL Monitor has invalid SQL query. (2198)
- Added: Forward Event Notification Method has a configurable message. (2197)
- Fixed: TNTAgent.exe command line help displayed correctly. (2196)
- Fixed: Detail Alert properties can be viewed. (2195, 2194)
- Fixed: Event Views can display data stored in non-English locale database. (2193)
- Fixed: EAM MSI installation to %WinDir%TNTAgent works correctly. (2192)
- Fixed: TNT Diagnostics command line respects filters. (2191)
- Fixed: Installation database error is more understandable. (2188)
- Fixed: SQL Monitor should use ODBC for its database connections. (2115)
- Fixed: ELM Inventory Collector is more reliable. (1898)
The following fixes are included in release 22.214.171.124:
- Fixed: Default ELM Editor Reports are no longer added to Failover databases. (2187)
- Fixed: Hour/Day scheduling is more accurate. (2186)
- Fixed: ELM Agent only installation on Windows Core 2012/2012 R2 is supported. (2184)
- Fixed: Agent Deployment Wizard correctly recognizes an ELM Agent behind a firewall. (2177,2161)
- Fixed: File Monitors now monitor the ‘Program Files (x86)’ directory. (2176)
- Fixed: Removed inaccurate references to obsolete Cluster Monitor capabilities. (2174)
- Fixed: XML import of subobjects is more robust. (2171)
- Fixed: Default ELM configuration is updated. (2170,2165)
- Fixed: ELM Event Filter dialogs are more intuitive. (2168)
The following fixes are included in release 126.96.36.199:
- Fixed: Filters will not match on special characters for Notification Methods. (2158, 2162)
- Fixed: SNMP Receiver should treat ::1 as localhost. (2157)
- Fixed: Monthly Maintenance Category description is more accurate. (2156)
- Fixed: Upgrade no longer allowed with expired maintenance. (2152)
- Fixed: ELM Server will now save the last ten configuration files. (2151)
- Fixed: ELM Server use of Failover database is more reliable. (2150)
- Fixed: Rare Agent configuration corruption on ELM Server upgrade. (2149, 2143)
- Fixed: Disabled agents will continually attempt to use the remote registry. (2148, 2140)
- Fixed: ELM Server memory leak on socket exception. (2147)
- Fixed: Correlation Time Out data does not update. (2144)
- Fixed: Command line Agent install will not connect to specified ELM Server. (2142)
- Fixed: ELM Advisor is more responsive with unreachable ELM Servers. (2138)
The following fixes are included in release 188.8.131.52:
- Fixed: Virtual Agents should process event logs in parallel, not sequentially. (2136)
- Fixed: TNT Agent service may fail to start on upgrade because of anti-virus program interaction. (2135)
- Fixed: Performance Collector import is more reliable. (2134)
- Fixed: Agent Deployment Wizard detects duplicates more quickly. (2129)
- Fixed: ELM Console and Wizard registry keys are preserved on upgrade. (2128)
- Fixed: Installer finds incompatible products more quickly. (2126)
The following fixes are included in release 184.108.40.206:
- Added: Use Rijndael encryption when passing event data. (2123)
- Fixed: SNMP OID mib file translation refactored. (2120)
- Fixed: Correlation timeout notification not always triggered. (2118)
- Fixed: Event star schema information can be wrong if database failover occurs. (2117)
- Fixed: A couple ELM Editor column names are more accurate. (2116)
- Fixed: SQL Monitor should use OLE DB connections for its OLE DB calls. (2115)
- Fixed: Rare TNTAgent/ELM Server service crash. (2114)
The following fixes are included in release 220.127.116.11:
- Fixed: SIDs in pre-Vista security events are translated to user names. (2113)
- Fixed: Potential SQL deadlock avoided. (2112)
- Fixed: ‘Save As’ pdf report creation no longer doubles grid data. (2111)
- Fixed: Event processing correctly handles sources with malformed registration. (2110)
- Fixed: Account Management columns added to ELM Editor Reports. (2064)
The following fixes are included in release 18.104.22.168:
- Fixed: Forward Events Notification Method is more robust. (2108)
- Fixed: Complex event message filtering for ELM Notifications is functional. (2107)
- Fixed: Enter/Exit TNT Diagnostic tracing can be enabled. (2103)
- Fixed: ‘Do not forcefully unload the user registry at user logoff’ User Profile reset by ELM Server. (2099)
- Fixed: Account Management columns added to Security Views. (2090)
- Fixed: OID translation is more accurate. (434)
The following fixes are included in release 22.214.171.124:
- Fixed: Database Maintenance on the ELM Primary database will run when data retention is set to ‘Keep Unlimited’. (2085)
- Fixed: ELM Report Scheduler service set to Automatic (Delayed) with ELM Server service credentials. (2084)
- Fixed: MIB translation extended to handle comments at the end of statements. (2061)
- Fixed: Disabled SNMP Receiver can cause database failover. (2060)
- Fixed: Database scripting is more robust. (2057, 2058)
- Fixed: ELM Editor Report menu options are more reliable. (2054)
- Fixed: Installations with the ELM Web Viewer are more reliable. (2053, 2052)
- Added: DatabaseSettings.xml is now portable. (2049)
- Fixed: Unwarranted uninstall error message removed. (2048)
- Fixed: ELM Editor Report View Results handles charts with column names containing spaces. (2047)
- Fixed: ELM Editor Report Schedule Wizard respects the SMTPShowAuthentication registry setting. (2046)
- Fixed: Include and Exclude Filters now allow ‘&’ and ‘|’ characters in the Event Id field. (2037)
The following fixes are included in release 126.96.36.199:
- Fixed: Upgrade of all license classes and levels handled correctly. (2043,2042)
- Fixed: ELM Agent Deployment Wizard reinstall is more robust. (2041,2038)
- Fixed: Agent At-a-Glance correctly displays more than 32 columns in charts. (2040)
- Added: Message fields in ELM Editor Reports now appear in a separate row. (2036)
- Fixed: ELM Enterprise Manager fully supports Windows Server 2012 R2. (2033)
- Fixed: Event Filter dialog handles ‘*’ for a Monitoring Category. (2031)
- Fixed: Fixed rare ELM Report Scheduler service crash. (2029)
The following fixes are included in release 188.8.131.52:
- Fixed: ELM Editor Report output to file destination is more reliable. (2028)
- Fixed: Preconfigured Process and Service Monitors work correctly. (2027)
- Fixed: ELM Editor Report 6.5 Results are now viewable. (2025)
The following fixes are included in release 184.108.40.206:
- Fixed: Exclude event result message is more accurate. (2024)
- Fixed: Agent Deployment Wizard is more reliable. (2023, 2022, 2017)
- Fixed: Upgrades from 6.5 now keep Report Schedules. (2021)
- Fixed: Event Filters with an ‘*’ in the Message field behave correctly. (2020)
- Added: Implemented Auto Add for ELM Event Forwarding. (2019)
- Fixed: Upgrades from 6.5 keep Forward Events trusted servers list. (2018)
- Fixed: ELM Editor Reports handle paths with special characters. (2016)
- Fixed: Agent Monitor can repeatedly send Agent configuration. (2015)
The following fixes are included in release 220.127.116.11:
- Initial release.
IIS Monitor Does Not Support IIS 7.0
The ELM IIS Monitor currently does not support IIS version 7.0 or newer.
EVT File Collector
Microsoft has changed how the event sub-system is organized on Windows Vista and newer operating systems. EVTX files collected from Vista and newer operating systems cannot be viewed on older operating systems.
Event based monitors not fully supported on virtual agents
If the ELM Server is installed on a Windows operating system prior to Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the Event Collector, Event Alarm, and Event File Collector monitors are not supported via Virtual Agents monitoring Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 or newer Windows operating systems. Due to the same limitation, the ELM Server command line operation /ImportEvt is also not supported in the same system configuration.
Recommended workaround: Deploy Service Agents to the machines to be monitored or install the ELM Server on a newer operating system.
Windows XP Service Pack 2 introduced Windows Firewall. Changes may need to be made to allow ELM Enterprise Manager 6.7 to operate when Windows Firewall is enabled.
Installer Error 1303, the installation has insufficient privileges to access this directory
This error can occur when starting the install package after uninstalling the package. The IIS server keeps the directory in use.
Recommended workaround: Run the command “IISReset” then rerun the installation.
Installing a Service Agent on a Server in a DMZ
If attempting to upgrade a Service Agent on a Server in a DMZ or otherwise protected by a firewall, the Agent Deployment Wizard can fail due to the Windows Firewall blocking the port used by RPC.
Recommended workaround: Use the ELM setup package to upgrade the Service Agent. Step-by-step directions ‘To install a Service Agent using Setup’ are in the ELM online help contents under Administrator Guide | Installation Guide | Installing Service Agents.
Clustered ELM Server may not correctly report its status to Cluster Administrator
If failover takes a long time, Cluster Administrator may report the ELM Server resource as being offline, when the resource is actually online. The cause for this is currently under investigation.
Recommended workaround: Connect to the ELM Server using the ELM Console. Then, in Cluster Administrator, you should be able to right-click the ELM Server resource and bring it online.
ELM Web Viewer can break WSUS in IIS
The ELM Web Viewer can break WSUS in IIS.
Recommended workaround: Do not install the ELM Web Viewer on a WSUS server. To correct the problem, uninstall the ELM Web Viewer feature, WSUS, and IIS; then reinstall IIS and WSUS.
ELM Agent can leave behind files
The ELM Agent can leave files behind if the Windows Configuration Monitor is running while it’s deleted.
Recommended workaround: Manually delete any files left behind.
Events may be lost if the database failover occurs
A small number of events (e.g., < 5) may be lost if database failover occurs when using SQL authentication. The problem does not appear when using Windows authentication for SQL Server.
Recommended workaround: Instead of SQL authentication, use Windows authentication for SQL Server (Microsoft recommends doing this for general security reasons, as well).
Invalid Username or Password Error Installing on a Read-only Domain Controller
When installing an ELM Server or Service Agent (running under a user account) on a Read-only Domain Controller (RODC), setup will try to programmatically grant Logon as a Service rights to the ELM Server service account or TNT Agent service account using the LSA APIs. This will fail because the RODC has a read-only replica of the SAM, thereby preventing the granting of this right on RODCs.
Recommended workaround: Manually grant the service account Logon as a Service rights prior to installation.
ELM Database Maintenance Plan Remains After Upgrade
Upgrading to ELM 6.7 requires new ELM Primary and Failover databases when upgrading over ELM 6.0. If the ELM 6.0 database was running the ELM database maintenance plan, then this plan will still be active after the upgrade. Also keep in mind the ELM database maintenance plan runs once per week on Sunday. Therefore recent data, to the point of upgrade, may not be backed up, and should be considered in any action taken.
Recommended workaround: Refer to the ELM 6.0 on-line help for steps to manually remove the ELM 6.0 database maintenance plan.
Cannot Install If System Drive Low On Space
The MSI installer requires an approximate minimum 100MB free space on the %systemdrive% before it will proceed, even if other logical drives have over 100MB free space.
Recommended workaround: Free up disk space on the %systemdrive% and restart install. See the recommended system requirements.
Cannot Disable ELM Advisor Launch on Windows Start
The ELM Advisor has a checkbox labeled “Launch the ELM Advisor when Windows starts” and it is checked by default. Immediately after install, changes to this checkbox are ignored until the user logs off and logs back on.
Recommended workaround: Run the ELM Advisor as Administrator, then set “Launch the ELM Advisor when Windows starts” to the desired setting.
Editor Report Chart Sections Without Data Can Have Display Issues
ELM Editor reports with chart sections need data for full functionality in chart properties. If there is no data, then editing chart properties can result in the misleading status message “Currently Binding Data” which never completes.
Recommended workaround: Use the ‘Cancel’ button to close the chart properties, collect data for the chart, and then configure chart settings.
Upgrading from ELM 6.0 or 6.5
Prior to upgrading to an ELM Version 6.7 product, you must first update to the latest release of ELM 6.0 or ELM 6.5, depending on which version you have installed. Please check your installation and verify that you are running the latest release available. These are listed below:
- ELM 6.0.245 (direct upgrade to 6.7 is supported)
- ELM 6.5.184
If you are not running one of these releases, please contact your Account Manager at TNT Software.